Tuesday, July 1, 2014

New BOM UFO - Prairie Primrose

Most quilters know who Kim Diehl is, and if you are new to quilting and discover her, you will surely like her and her style.  She combines simple piecing and appliqué to make gorgeous quilts.  


So, to move the story along,  Homestead Hearth was offering a BOM using the pattern Prairie Primrose in Kim's book, Simple Traditions.  I already had the book, so I signed up for the BOM.    


This is a big quilt, 106" X 106", and each block measures 21" square.  See how nice it looks on a bed?  When I saw this, I wanted this on one of my beds in the house.


Initially, I was all gung-ho in working on this BOM, mostly because I wanted to try my hand at "hand turn appliqué".  Big failure!  I am sure I would have gotten better with practice.  Ah, no.  Not.  So, I got busy, and since it wasn't a great success right away, I stuck it in a tub and never thought about it again.  Then, again, I was surfing through Pinterest, and came across several pins of Kim's work, and I remembered that I had all the fabric and pattern to do one of her quilts.  So, I went on a treasure hunt through my tubs of BOM's and projects, and found it all the individual month packets and the first block I worked on.   I knew I would not be doing the hand appliqué on this quilt, so I took out all the handwork I did on block one and redid it on the machine using one of the stitches (blanket stitch) to do all the pieces.  Here is the newly redone block 1.  So much better than the original.  It was so bad, I didn't even want to take a picture.  Pathetic!!!  But after doing this block on the machine, I am excited to work on the other blocks and do this quilt.


Just for information, the fabric used in this BOM is Moda, Kansas Troubles.  Two lines were used, called Bound to the Prairie 2, and Winter Rose.  Beautiful!

Warmest...




No comments: