Wednesday, December 19, 2018

2018 Finishes - Zeke Scrappy - #57

I have more Thimbleberries scrap fabric than I know what to do with, especially pieces measuring 2.5 inches.  I was playing around with using up these pieces, and put together this pattern.  This is one of my first designs using no pattern other than what was in my head.  I am calling it Zeke Scrappy.  I will get to why I am calling it later in the post.  

I thought I would be able to put a dent in my scraps, but no avail.  This is one of my favorite quilts I have ever made.  One because I designed it, and two, it's scrappy with my favorite line of fabrics.  There is not much if any duplication in the pieces.  It borderlines on being a postage stamp quilt. 




The size is 65" X 88".  I made it specifically to be a throw for a tall big man.



I chose a scrappy reds for the binding, to bring all the colors of the quilt to a focal point.  


Of course, I chose my favorite 108" backing for this quilt, as it fits the colors and background of all my Thimbleberries fabrics.



Now, the idea behind this quilt comes from a person that came into our lives when my children were in high school.  His parents had just gotten divorced and he was not in a good place, so he spent a lot of time with my children and at our home.  He began to call me mom, and loved being a part of our family.  He went on to do a tour in the military, landed back in the Eastern part of the US, got married to a wonderful woman, and now has a daughter.  One of Facebook's redeeming qualities is that I can keep in contact with these individuals and their growing lives.  This individual, Zeke, commented on one of my FB quilt posts that he buy one of my quilts, as he wanted one.  I replied that I don't sell them, but that I would make him one.

When I sent it to him, I wrote him a note explaining that life gives us lots of scraps that we piece together that makes us whole and what we are today.  Much like a quilt, the fabric can stay in a box all jumbled up and messy, not really being anything useful, but put together it turns into a beautiful thing that is useful, comforting, and warm.  It brings happiness to individuals lives, much like he did in his life.

Therefore, I give you the Zeke Scrappy...

Warmest...

Renee.



Size: 65" x 88"
Fabric Lines Used:  Thimbleberries 
Colors:  Black Gold, red, Green, blue
Pattern:  Zeke Scrappy  
Designer: Renee Steele
Long Arm Quilter:  Carol Nelson
Year Began:2018
Year Completed: 2018

1 comment:

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Oh my goodness! Your view of life and the scraps that we piece together made me teary eyed and how wonderful of you to make such a lovely quilt to give to this young man. I am sure he will treasure it forever!
You do such beautiful work!
Wishing you a merry Christmas!