Thursday, September 25, 2014

Working on John Q's Quilt

This week I started the quilting of John Q's quilt.  Remember it is really thick, more like a comforter than a normal quilt that I normally work on.  There is so much batting (I used two extra loft polyester battings in this quilt) that it is difficult to get in the head space of the machine.  Each side of the block takes time to readjust the whole quilt, including rolling up the side of the quilt to fit it in the small space.  As I get out to the edges, I will have to even tighten it more and more.  I am not complaining, mind you, it give me that much more quilting experience on my home machine model.  This is important because I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 quilt tops, I would like to get done.  I am trying to talk myself into making a goal of quilting at least 10 5 quilt tops before doing any more UFO's, BOM's, or any other new project.  Hmmm.  That will take some talking on my part.

Continuing on the the original post, here are some pictures of the quilt under the needle.  You have to look really hard to see the sewing machine in the pictures, because the quilt engulfs it.

Here is what I have completed so far, as I started in the middle, and working my way out to the edges.  It is looking better than I expected. 

I told the client that my target date of finishing the quilt is next week.  Stay tuned....


No comments: