Wednesday, December 30, 2015

More Leftovers

I was looking for some backing pieces that I knew I had stored in some of my fabric bins out in the garage, so I as I was looking for these backing pieces, I came across a UFO that I had already cut out, but for some reason did not go ahead and get it sewn up.  I did get this stitched up before Christmas, but I have hit a little snag.  Read on and I will further explain.

The pattern called Fresh Tradition comes out of the magazine "American Patchwork and Quilting" in their February 2007 issue by the designer Darlene Zimmerman.  Darlene Zimmerman is famous for using 30's reproduction fabrics and has several fabric lines of her own.  Since I so like 30's reproduction fabrics so much, I really enjoy her patterns and fabrics.  In fact I have a lot of her different lines over the years.  As I have mentioned before, I have a large storage bin full of these fabrics.  


It is a simple four patch and what I call half a snowball block as seen in this close up picture.  




The pattern of the quilt top comes in the arrangement of the blocks.  I like the vintage look of the solid dark blue.  The dark blue at the bottom of the quilt top is the backing peeking out, as this picture shows the it all sandwiched together ready for the quilting I need to do next.

I

It should have had solid blue bindings, but then I would have had to piece the backing.   Now that I have it sandwiched and see a hint of what a blue border (it is the backing peeking out), I might have to change my mind and un-sandwich it, put on the blue borders and then piece the backing.  Sigh, I do so dislike doing double work.

Hint:  Bonnie Hunter has complete instructions to do this quilt pattern on her site "Quiltville" that you can fine here. She does hers in red, white, and blue, which gives you a different look of the same pattern.

1 comment:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Can you sacrifice a few rows in order to have a boarder and a single piece of backing? I don't usually add boarders anyway, and don't think it needs it, but that doesn't mean you don't think you need it!!! It's s fab top - good find!!!!