I have had this as a UFO for about 4 years. I was working at a local quilt shop, and saw this in the book, "Keepsake Baby Quilts from Scraps"by Julie Higgins from Clotilde.com. (See I was liking scrappy quilts for some time now!)
It was my first time using batiks, so I ended up buying lots of fat quarters, and a charm pack.
I had all of the elephant blocks appliquéd, and the center blocks all cut out. I went ahead and assembled the center blocks and then went on to make the top. I also used a batik for the background, which can be hard to find the lighter colors.
I now have it sandwiched and pinned and working on the quilting. So far I have done cross hatching in the center, as the blocks are on point.
I chose to do shadow quilting around the elephants. There are twelve of them, and this part is taking longer than I expected.
Then there were the blank corner blocks and the blank blocks in between the elephant blocks that I needed to do some kind of quilting, as that was lots of big spaces.
So I took the original stencils of the elephant, and outlined it on each block and just did a stitching around the outline.
It's a little hard to see when taking pictures, but it finished out these blank spaces just perfect.
I have about three elephants to do the shadow quilting, and then I will be able to get it bound and another one will be completed.
I'll be back with finished pictures in a few days.