I woke up last Friday, finding part 1 of Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt, En Provence.
I got the strips cut out of various neutrals. Had a nice little stack to start with to get to the number of units needed for this part.
I did a sample block of the unit and measured to make sure it was coming out the correct size. Perfect!
As always, to reduce bulk in these pieces, I pinned the seams. I usually do this in all my block making, when I can, but Bonnie is really emphasizing this technique this year. I imagine it is important to the rest of the quilts bulk.
I am stitching this on my vintage 401A, and using a 1/4" seam guide that can be screwed onto the base of the machine. Makes a huge difference in getting an accurate seam.
After getting the little pile of cut strips all sewn up, I realized I needed to cut a lot more strips to make the amount needed for part 1. These are batches of twenty, and I need about double that amount.
So off to the scrap bins I go, and found more neutrals to strip up and get sub divided into pair to make the four patches. Here is the tub of pairs, ready to be grabbed up in a scrappy manner to finish the amount needed for Part 1.
I didn't give specifics on the size used or amount needed in this post, as it is only fair to link back to Bonnie's blog page where you can find out all the information if interested in joining, or seeing all the other people participating in this mystery quilt this year. You can click on the link below to see and get all the information.
Clue two comes out tomorrow, but I will be having (finally) my knee surgery, so I will have to wait this weekend to work on the next part.