This is my first finish for 2017. I'm slower this year.
I started this mystery quilt, from a blog site back in April 2013, and all I did was pull the fabric together and started clue one. Then it got put away until I pulled it out in June 2016 (you can read about the details here)and finished the top and pinned it together to quilt on my machine rather than sending it out to a long arm quilter. And it sat there on my to do pile, got moved around, and sat some more, until this last week when I was at a point that I wanted to quilt it. Part of my procrastination in working on this is because I have not done any quilting on my vintage machine, and wasn't sure how it would perform. Although, I think it was just plain procrastination on my part, because I don't like this part of the quilt making process. I knew from following a group on Facebook called Vintage Sewing Machines, that this machine would perform just fine. And, of course it did, and it works wonderful.
This is the full size, about 40" X 50". At first, for me, I couldn't really see the pattern of pinwheels, but the camera brings out them. It is all made from one jelly roll, including the border and the binding.
For the backing, I used a scrap of leftover fabric from the backing of my Chocolat quilt from last year. I did just a cross hatch stitch in the ditch following the pinwheels top to bottom, sided to side.
It has been a cold winter this year in the Pacific Northwest, so I am going to use it to throw over my legs while I'm siting at the machine. But, since it is finally spring and warming up, it will have a place on the back of my sewing chair.
Size: 40" X 50"
Fabric Lines Used: Moda Whimsey by Fig Tree
Pattern: Mystery Quilt "Mum's the Word"
Designer: Heather Spence (www.heatherspencedesigns.com
Long Arm Quilter: Renee Steele
Year Began: 04/2013
Year Completed: 04/2017