Wednesday, December 11, 2013

New Venture - Doll Clothes

I have had the privilege of three little ones come into our lives this season.  Long story, but a great reunion with a quasi adopted son and his family.  Two little girls and one little boy.  Well, it has been a long, long time since I have had little ones in my life.  Years.  Probably at least 25 years.  A long time.  

I have no clue of what is all the rage in children's toys.  It's been years remember.  So when these two little girls show up with their dolls, I had to ask about them.  Well, they have what is called the "American Girl" doll.  There is a whole culture surrounding these dolls.  They have their own stores, with wardrobe selections, tea rooms, birthday rooms, and on and on...

Anyway, I didn't want to get caught up in the culture and the price tag that goes along with such fanfare, so I did some searching on the internet, and found some retired patterns for this doll, and decided to make a couple of outfits for their dolls.

Here is my first attempt at making doll clothes.  I haven't done this since I was a small girl.  Remember I only have sons, so not doll related stuff while they were growing up.

This is a rain coat and had, made out of PUL from Free Spirit.  Doll clothes are not as easy as one would think, as the space to work with is small, like easing in sleeves, turning a hat brim, making a collar and turning it with crisp corners, and on...

But, all in all, I think it came out pretty darn cute!


Warmest....

No comments: