Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Going Vintage

There is a new trend going on in the quilting world.  Going vintage.  Vintage sewing machine that is...

Yep, there is a new sub culture of us that have decided that the older vintage sewing machines are just the perfect fit for our quilting needs.  Here is the first of a few that I am putting to use in my quilt sewing.


This is a White brand sewing machine that is a class 15 sewing machine patterned after the Singer model 15 machine. Many of the class 15 machines were made in Japan after WWII as a way for the USA to help restore industry to Japan after bombing with the atom bomb.  Mine is one that was made in Japan for the the White Sewing Machine Company. The class 15 sewing machines feature a low shank and oscillating hooks.  They use the standard bobbins called Class 15 bobbins and a regular 15X 1 flat back needle.   Nothing special to buy to run and work on them!    This is a straight stitch only machine, which is the only thing I need to do my quilting.   It is made of all metal, no plastic anywhere (including the pressure foot) and sews like a dream through four layers of denim.  

I have been quilting on my Husqvarnia Designer II machine.  This machine was very expensive (in the thousands), comes with an embroidery unit, and hundreds of decorative stitches.  But is has lots of plastic parts, such as the foot pedal.  Well this foot pedal of mine got a crack in it and will cost $280.00 to replace it, if you can find one.  Right after I bought this machine, Husqvarnia quit making the embroidery cards for the machine, and parts, so basically I'm out of luck.  So, I decided to join these quilters who have discovered again how wonderful these vintage machines are for straight stitch sewing and spent less than $100 for this one.   I packed up the fancy expensive one to be saved for use in my minor sewing needs such as clothes sewing, embroidery (using the couple of cards I did get before they quit making them) and other things that might need a zig zag stitch.

As you can see I tested out my new to me machine on the cheddar bow ties, and let me tell you, it is like being in sewing heaven.  The machine runs so smooth, hums rather than thrashes like my expensive machine, and hasn't had any snarls or fabric balling up when you start out at the beginning of a seam.  I couldn't be happier with the decision of going vintage.

As a side note, my Dad went with me on the trek looking for a vintage machine, and when he saw this one he made the comment that I should get it because it looked like his first car!  

I am up to 100 of 700 cheddar bow ties done.  


Warmest...

1 comment:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I have a friend's mum's Bernina that's as old as me, but is a real workhorse. It usually lives in storage but came out a few weeks ago and I was reminded how Lovely she is! My modern, fancy, expensive Brother is a bit of a prima Donna!