Thursday, August 25, 2016

2016 Finished Quilts - Asian Shadow Box Quilt 9

This quilt is the first in a series of posts about quilts that I have finished this UFO resolution year.  

This quilt started out as a kit.  It was bought at a quilt shop off the beaten path, one I have not been back to ever since visiting about 4 years ago.  My husband spotted a shop sample on their wall, and said that his sister would love a quilt just like that one.  I was just going to get the pattern, when he discovered it was made up in a kit.  



The quilt pattern is called, "Shadow Box".  Placement of the dark fabric on two sides of the prints, creates a 3D illusion giving it a shadow box effect.  The prints are various Asian prints set on a white background.



My husband helped me pick out this kit and fabrics, because he wanted me to make one for his sister. Her bedroom is in an Asian theme, and this quilt will be a perfect fit for her bed.  



It is a nice size for a throw for a queen bed, but it is more of the size for a twin bed.  When I put the pictures of all my finished quilts on my FB page, this was the most favorite out of all my finishes so far.  If you can spot the error, please don't say anything, I found it once it was all done, and so far no one has noticed until I point it out, so I left it alone.


This is a close up of the border fabric and the matching binding.  I am doing more and more bindings using the same fabric as the last border.  I like the finished look of it when done.


This shows the backing I used.  It matches nothing with the front fabrics, but there are no repeats in the shadow boxes either, so this backing is a permit fit for this quilt.


Next are the specific facts about the quilt:

Size: 68" X 80"
Fabric Lines Used:  Various Asian fabrics

Pattern: Shadowbox from Mountainpeek Creations
Designer:  Kari Nichols
Long Arm Quilter:  Carol Nelson
Year Began:  2016
Year Completed:  2016

Warmest...

No comments: