Saturday, August 11, 2018

Thimbleberries 2 1/2" Scrap Quilt

It's not a secret that I am a fan of Thimbleberries.  I like the older fabric lines, I like Lynette Jensen's pattern designs, how she is simple in putting together her patterns, and she had done more lines of fabric and patterns than most quilt designers.  She is retired now, to my knowledge there are no more fabric lines patterns being developed.  Once in a while she pops up with a special article in a quilt magazine with a pattern.   This is a spot from crafts about her:  Lynette Jensen was one of the very first designers to create a Block of the Month program for quilt retailers, and her Thimbleberries BOM ran for more than 22 years, with more than 300,000 quilters and 1,000 stores participating.

I have been on of the 300,000 quilters to participate in her BOM and other programs.  I heavily participated from 1998 through 2008.  I have several kits and programs left to do, but time now to work on them all.  

One of the benefits from participating in her BOMs and programs, is she over stated the fabric that was needed for the project.  This is because her designs are really geared for beginner quilters, and the projects had enough fabric for mistake cuttings.  Me - I have a full stash of the leftover fabrics from these projects.

This is a big tub full of big scraps, color stacked from when I did the Quiltville mystery quilt,  Grand Illusion.  Clearly, I didn't really begin to touch my scrap bucket.


But, hold on, here are some more scraps in my cube shelving, storing my smaller scraps.



So, I gave it some thought and wanted a really simple 2 1/2" square quilt.



I cut up a box of darks above.


And a box of neutrals above.

This is the finished top.  Not what I had in my mind, but I still like it, as it is really scrappy.


The circles show what I did to make this top.  The first circle from the top of the picture down is a block of 4 X 4 2 1/2" squares made into a 16 patch using alternating dark and lights.  the next circle was what I did for sashing.  I made it 2 X 4 2 1/2" squares using darks. and the last circle is the corner posts using 2 X 2 2 1/2" square making a four patch sewn with the sashing.  


The top is done as of last night, still doesn't look like I made a dent in my scraps, but I have to know I am getting them used up without having to buy any fabric.  That is my goal for a couple of years.  

The top measures 65" X 82".  Now it is off to the longarmer.


Warmest...




No comments: