Friday, October 25, 2013

Leftover Table Runner Project D.O.N.E. Done!

Yipee!  We are done! Done! Done!  I will be the first to admit that I am not the speedy sewer/quilter there is out there, but this one has taken the prize for one stretched out project reaching the finish line.

And, even after quilting, some of the wonkiness is still there.  (Sigh).  So, I am going to wash it and then do a really good steam press on it and wash my hands from it.  I probably should have scrapped this as soon as I made the first block of triangles, but I didn't and I made the commitment to my self that I am not leaving unfinished projects laying around.  It would have been easy to just bundle the unfinished project up and put in in a bag or bin and tell yourself, "I will come back and get to that later".  Nope, that's not what my new mantra is all about, especially since I am no longer working outside of the home.

So here are the finished pictures.  The first one here is the runner folded in half.  I didn't take the time to totally unfold it for the pictures, mostly to save face on all the wonkiness going on with this thing called a table runner.

Close up picture of the one corner of the quilt and it shows the cross-hatch quilting I did.  This is probably my most favorite way to quilt, as it is straight line quilting (no special changes on the sewing machine itself or the feet), and it usually is just following the lines of stitching the block together.  Going around the border I just straight stitched at one inch intervals.

Another close-up of the cross hatch quilting.

Cute view of it folded up.  Too bad that it looks the best this way rather than laid out on the table.  (Snicker)

This picture is a view of the backing I used, which is the same as the last border on the front.  I got really lucky, as I didn't have enough of any of the scraps left over from the big quilt to do a backing, so I spent a couple of late nights surfing the web, and found matching fabric.  It was posted as scraps left over from a long arm quilter and only cost me $3.50, including postage to get the backing.  Half of the fun is the hunt for the right material to complete the project and make it look like you had it all from the beginning

And, last, but not least, here is a close up of a corner to show the binding, which matches the red in the quilt top.

Now that it is done, I am feeling pretty good about sticking it out and completing this project.  It shows now that I can do a little designing and have the self discipline to follow through with something I started.

By the way, if anyone is interested in this design, leave me a comment with your e-mail address, and I will send you the graph paper sketches I did in the planning of this table runner.



BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Nice. Congratulations on the finish!!

Marni @ Haberdashery Fun said...

Wow.. Looks lovely!!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It looks great as far as I can tell and I like the pretty fall colors! :)