Wednesday, November 14, 2018

2018 Finishes - Prairie Primrose - #48

This one is so different from most of my quilts, but is one of my favorites and now has a home on my bed.  This quilt is called Prairie Primrose out of a book called Simple Traditions by Kim Diehl.  The monthly program was through Homestead Hearth for twelve months, starting in December 2006.  You can read more about it here, as I was blogging when I decided to pick up this project and start working on it again.





It is a king sized over large quilt measuring at 104" X 104".  Each appliquéd block measures 20" X 20", before adding on the sashing and corner stones.   The fabric is from Kansas Troubles Bound to the Prairie II line by Moda.



I was able to get the top completed up to the outside border and setting corners.  Actually, I had already appliquéd the setting corners, but the pattern called for a vining appliqué to be done on the wide plain border.  I kept putting it off, as it would be a horrendous time consumer.  Then, I had the bright idea of just finishing with no appliqué on the border.  The borders hang off of  the bed, and it looks perfect with out the appliqué.  I am delighted that I went ahead and finished this way, as it is done and looking lovely!





The below pictures are close ups of each block, each done in a different color, causing the quilt to flow and not look flat.












The overly bright sun doesn't really show the appliqué, but I did it with a blanket stitch on my domestic machine.


I chose to do a scrappy binding, as I had lots of green left over from not choosing to do the green vine appliqué on the border.



The backing is one that has some of the colors from the front of the quilt.  I wished I had gone ahead and used a more matching Kanas Troubles fabric, but the backing rarely gets seen, so I am still happy that it is all done.


Size: 104" x 104"
Fabric Lines Used:  Kansas Troubles Bound to the Prairie II
Colors: Green, Wine, gold, blue, red
Pattern:  Prairie Primrose (Simple Traditions)
Designer: Kim Diehl
Long Arm Quilter:  Carol Nelson
Year Began: 2006

Year Completed: 2018

















1 comment:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Lots of complicated blocks - it’s lovely and I’m delighted to hear (read) that it’s on your bed!!!