Saturday, June 7, 2014

Sewing Machine Needles

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble with their sewing machine needles breaking?  Apparently I have been having a lot of trouble lately:


I saw this collection idea on a Pinterest post when I first joined.  I thought it was a good idea, and now I realize that it has kept track of just how many needles I am breaking!

When I used to sew on this machine below, I rarely needed to change a needle, much less one that broke on me.   I have had this machine for 26 years, and it still works like a charm.  I do all of my quilting on this machine.


And, now that I have upgraded to this machine, I have been breaking needles left and right.  I have only had this machine for about seven years.


I want to add to this discussion, that I have used all kind of brands and sizes of needles, Schmetz (including Microtex), Superior Thread TopStitch, Organ (because I can get them in bulk, but they break the most), Singer, Inspira, and some that I can't even remember.  

So, my dilemma becomes, is it the machine, that needles are not made as well as they used to be made, or I haven't found the right brand?  I don't think my sewing practices have changed, other than on old blue I sewed on all kinds of fabric from denim, knits, polyester, and cottons.  And on my new machine all I have been sewing on is quilting fabrics.  That leaves more questions than answers.  Sigh.

Warmest...


No comments: