Monday, January 5, 2015

Final Reveal of the Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt

Grand Illusion

New Year's eve at midnight, Bonnie Hunter revealed what the final quilt will look like and how to assemble all the clues.  Here is the layout of the block in my Thimbleberries color way.


This is a picture of the block with the sashings between each block.


There is the fervor all over Facebook is about how the participants are not happy with the way my colors are working when the do their first block.  A lot of disappointment is circulating with the participants.  But, you need to look at the quilt as a whole with all the blocks sewn together.  Not just focus on one block.  Visit Bonnie's site here to see the whole quilt done in her colors and you can see the blocks taking on a spinning motion and the quilt looks like it is moving.  It really is a fun kind of quilt!  Some participants are even changing up the block by switching out the center four-patch with a solid color matching the star points (so if I would be doing this, my center block would be red).  But, I really like the movement in Bonnie's quilt, so I am going to stick with the original pattern, and I already have the center four-patches made anyway.

I will be linking up with Quiltville's post this coming Monday, and hopefully have more to show in finished blocks and maybe a finished quilt top.

Thanks for following along this amazing mystery journey with me!

Warmest...





6 comments:

AfterMath Quilting said...

I love Bonnie Hunter's mysteries (this was my second) - and I'm one of the people who made a change this year. I like seeing how creative people can be with the same units and the difference color placement makes is amazing. I'm more than pleased with my final product. Three cheers to Bonnie's willingness to put this out there for us. Thank you!

Andee said...

I never understand why folks want to change up a mystery..why not do their own pattern if they aren't happy to follow someone else's? LOL but to each her own! Bonnie doesn't mind, but I know I frankly cannot improve upon her designs so I don't even try! :) Yours looks great!

QuiltGranma said...

love your choices of colors. it will look great when finished!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Hi Wren, very pleased to meet you. Your mystery block is looking great

Vireya said...

It looks good in your Thimbleberries fabrics!

traditional_quilter said...

I love your colors and fabrics! It is really looking great. I love this quilt and have had so much fun working on mine. I can't wait til the next one. Hopefully Bonnie will continue to have mystery quilts for us.