Monday, February 17, 2014

New Favorite Book

When I first started quilting, I bought almost every quilt book that came out on the market I had in mind of creating a huge quilt library, that I could go to at anytime and find a specific pattern. Well, all that did was begin to take up a lot of space, cost was getting to be a factor, and it wasn't as easy to go back and find that "pattern" I wanted at a later date as I once thought it would be.  So I slowed down my book buying about eight years ago, and in the last couple of years I only get me one or two a year.  Most of the time, If I really want a book, I wait until it is a couple of years old, and buy it second hand on Ebay.

But.  While I was on the quilt run this year, I spotted this book and looked through it, and liked it, but put it back and went around the store looking at other things.  While checking out, I thought I should take another look at the book, as I hadn't seen it anywhere else along the trip.

Looking at it again, I realized it had 40 patterns in the book. Most books don't have more than 7 - 10. And each pattern is so different from the others, and again, many of the books today have a pattern, and then different approaches for that one pattern and counting it as a separate pattern.

I also looked at getting this book, because I have so many scraps left from every BOM I have ever done, and want some various patterns to begin to use them up.  The Title caught my eye, as it says projects for 5" scraps.

This this the cover of the book.  Even the cover project is a good mix of scraps, but balanced nicely with a light to give the quilt some class.  Most scrappy quilts can look a little trashy to me.


Here is what one of the patterns look like when you open the book, with easy to read instructions and material lists.


If you expand this picture, it shows what the pattern would look like in different sizes.
This is done for every pattern in the book.



All in all, I really like this book.  I already have a couple of patterns in mind to use soon.  After looking through the whole book, I found I liked more than 90% of the patterns.

Warmest...


1 comment:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I also bought way too many everything. Guess I thought I would live to be 205....giggle. I have one of the nickle books...not sure if it's the same.....enjoy.